TCI funds and operates a summer internship program that places Cornell University masters and professional degree candidates with research internship opportunities across India. Interns work to propel TCI research in any of our main research areas, and specific internships/project opportunities depend on what projects are in need of support.
This is a competitive, merit-based internship that requires interns to engage (full-time) over the course of 6-8 weeks in an applied, development-related research project in India. TCI internships typically occur in between June-August. Funding will be awarded on a competitive basis.
***The application for the Summer 2018 Internship is now open. The deadline to apply is Friday, February 9th, 2018.***
What do TCI interns do? – Multidisciplinary, hands-on learning
TCI interns may be selected to perform a range of functions: from participating in data-collection efforts, to working on monitoring and evaluation of specific initiatives, working with a specific partner organization or offering direct support in the Mumbai office for TCI staff.
Accepted interns often demonstrate a background, proficiency, or interest in the following:
- Conducting applied research or work within a developing country.
- Career interest in agricultural development, rural development or global nutrition.
- Coursework in economics, statistics, anthropology/rural development, agricultural extension, adult/childhood education, nutrition, health, communication, engineering or agronomy.
- Interest/background in primary data collection.
- Willingness to live or work outside the United States, openness to new cultures and new experiences, ability to learn from a diverse group of people, partners and/or experiences.
The application window typically opens in late December or early January. Invitations to interview are made in February. Selected applicants are notified of their placement in mid-to-late March. The internship typically occurs for 6-8 weeks between June and August. This year’s application deadline is Friday, February 9th, 2018.
How many internships are there?
It depends. The number of applicants accepted will be determined by the internship staffing needs of TCI for the upcoming summer.
Who is eligible?
Cornell graduate students (masters/professional students) are encouraged to apply. We are not currently accepting applications from undergraduate students.